Mantis St Helena offers easy access to Napoleonic museums & relics on St Helena island. Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte was exiled to St Helena by the British after his defeat at Waterloo in 1815. He spent the first two months on the island at Briars Pavilion, and the last five years before his death, on 5th May 1821, at Longwood House. He was buried in tranquil Sane Valley, at his request, on 9th May. In 1840 the Emperor’s body was exhumed and returned to France and placed at Les Invalids in Paris.
The three main French-owned Napoleonic sites – Longwood House Museum, the Tomb, and the Briars Pavilion – are open for the public to visit and view some of the most exclusive artefacts in the world. Tickets are available in advance from the hotel’s Reception. Multilingual audio guides are available at the entry to Longwood House.